Chamber Music Monterey Bay (CMMB), a nonprofit, performing arts organization, is seeking an Executive Director (ED). This is a full-time, salaried position with paid vacation and benefits.
Founded in 1966, CMMB celebrates over 50 years of presenting world-class chamber music at historic Sunset Center in Carmel, CA, in an annual series of five concerts performed by ensembles from around the world. It also offers education and outreach programs to local schools and youth music groups, as well master classes and pre-concert lectures given by a noted musicologist.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director (ED), who reports to the Board of Directors, directs all day-to-day activities of the organization. The ED is responsible for event management; revenue development; financial management and reporting; management of key internal and external relationships; as well as the hiring and supervision of staff.
The ED also develops and maintains good relationships with staff, volunteers, Board members, venue management, subscribers and donors, business and corporate partners, media, and vendors, as well as with other nonprofits and community groups.
The ED’s management responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Manages all aspects of artist contracting.
• Manages all tasks required for concert production.
• Manages all tasks required for outreach/education activities.
• Coordinates concert/artist requirements with venue personnel.
• Supervises all event activities and staff duties.
• Maintains sound financial practices to ensure control and accounting of all revenues and expenses.
• Prepares annual projected budgets and monthly financial statements.
• Works with Budget Committee of the Board of Directors to prepare budgets.
• Monitors finances and manages cash flow throughout the year.
• Manages resources and improves internal procedures efficiency.
• Communicates effectively with the Board of Directors.
• Implements the policies of the Board of Directors.
• Hires, retains, and supervises part-time office staff.
• Provides support to the Board of Directors and assists in the recruitment of new board members.
• Attends Board meetings, provides clear, adequate and timely information to the Board and committees, and works effectively with the Board as a whole.
• Manages fund development efforts by creating and supporting realistic, ambitious fundraising plans and establishing positive relationships with individual donors, government, foundation and corporate funders.
• Works closely with the Artistic Director and Board of Directors to develop an individual donor solicitation program.
• Designs and implements donor appeals, searches for sponsorships, and helps to expand the legacy society.
• Identifies potential grant opportunities and writes grant proposals.
• Manages existing grants and meets all grant requirements.
• Using materials designed by the Artistic Director, the ED
• Serves as marketing director, coordinating all aspects of media sponsorship development and the production of all marketing materials and advertising.
• Develops and implements an annual marketing plan.
• Negotiates media buys, including in-kind sponsorships.
• Supervises the production and distribution of all marketing and publicity materials.
• Manages the website design (or works with a subcontractor).
• Writes and distributes press releases.
• Serves as a public relations and media liaison for the organization.
• Pitches editorial stories to media and coordinates artist interviews.
• Creates and distributes email promotions.
• Manages direct mail marketing campaigns.
• Develops and implements audience surveys.
• Provides leadership in the community for arts advocacy, collaboration, collegial networking and peer support.
• Nonprofit management experience, preferably as an executive director
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Fundraising experience, preferably including major gift solicitations
• Grant writing experience
• Targeted marketing experience; working with demographics
• Database management: Salesforce (or other CRM system)
• Financial management and reporting; budget preparation
• Successful experience working with a board of directors
• Detail-oriented and big picture, strategic thinking
• Experience in both Word and Excel
ADDITIONAL SKILLS/EXPERIENCE DESIRED
• WordPress and/or CMS websites
• Basic graphic design (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
• MailChimp, SurveyMonkey
• Business experience
Salary is commensurate with experience. Paid vacation and benefits are offered.
Initial review of applicants will begin on October 15, 2017, and it will continue until the position is filled.
Please submit a resumé and letter of interest by email to: No phone calls, please.
CMMB is a 501(c)3 organization. Our office is located in Carmel, California. For more information, please visit www.chambermusicmb.org.